Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Smurf Is Born.....and Other Events from This Past Week

Ok, you either know what I'm talking about or you really think I'm nuts. To give you some background info, just in case you have no idea what a smurf is, I'll give you a brief history.

The Smurfs are cartoon characters from the 1980's. They are small, blue, and are constantly on the run from their human enemy, Gargamel (sp?). To get to the point, a smurf can only be born on a blue moon. Guess what, we recently had a blue moon. So....... I guess, a smurf was born the other night. Wonder what they will name the new baby smurf, "Freezing Smurf", because it was freezing that night? What do you think?


Here is the best that my little camera could do on capturing a photo of the elusive, blue moon. Kind of looks like something from the X-Files, in my opinion.


Aunt Nay (that's just what my kids call her-( hee hee, it's funny seeing it in writing...)) came by one night and said she was going to sneak away to look for a ferret. She came back awhile later and when she entered the door, something was moving inside her coat. That moving "something", is named Sassy and she is an albino ferret.

Sassy thought that our basket of telephone books was pretty amazing. I was just wondering when the last time Sassy "went", if you know what I mean......

One day last week, I was searching for a video to teach me how to make fingerless gloves by knitting. I did come across a rather interesting video that taught you how to make a "plastic bag, bag". So, the girls and I went to work cutting up every plastic bag we had in the attempt to make this, "plastic bag, bag". (You know, a plastic bag knitted out of plastic bags that actually hold- well, plastic bags!)

This is our yarn ball that we created out of strips of plastic bags. I started on a plastic bag, bag but it turned out disastrous. I took the beginning knittings of it apart and now, I'm just practicing knitting with plastic bags. Stay tuned because I'm not really sure what it's going to turn out to be. Right now, it's about 7 inches wide and somewhere around 4 or 5 inches long. Plastic bag scarf, anyone? Don't laugh, it may just turn out to be one!


This little project made me really happy and it only took about 4 or 5 hours to finish. (Who am I kidding- it probably took longer but I like to think that it only took 4 or 5 hours) Argh, I hate it when things take that long- at least I'm learning patience, I guess.

Anyway, back to the story. I found this rather annoying video on the internet on how to make "quick and fashionable" fingerless gloves by knitting. (maybe the music annoyed me?) Follow this link if you want to see it for yourself. I decided that this was a good place to start since I had no clue how to do it.

As you can see from the photo above, I actually managed to make a pair and my oldest daughter is thrilled beyond belief because she usually gets to keep my projects. I paid a grand total of $0.50 for the yarn at a thrift store and I have half of the skein left over. I love it when things work out that way. If I have time, I'm going to make my niece a pair to go with her hat and scarf that she will be getting for her birthday in the next few days.

The only problem with knitting is that it keeps me from sewing. Oh well, maybe it's just a faze I'm in and I'll grow out of knitting- naaaaaah, I think knitting is here to stay.....

No comments:

Post a Comment