Friday, February 5, 2010

Winter weather in our neck of the woods....

The shear mention of ice or snow in the south causes massive shortages at the grocery stores. You know, bread, milk, peanut butter, and toilet paper. Don't ask me why but those are the things that are generally missing from the shelves right before, during, and several days after a winter storm. Maybe it's a southern thing. Maybe not. Who knows?

I even find myself scanning the pantry shelves when the weather man starts all of this pandemonium. Thankfully, we didn't run out of the necessities during our recent 2 day wintry mix.

These are just a few scenes from our sleet/snow mix.

Here is Melvin. If you follow my blog, you have probably seen him in all of the different seasons. Last winter he even had a runny nose. (The remnants can still be seen here, unfortunately) This year, he fared a might better. The tree to the left of him had a run in with another tree recently but, Melvin's tree persevered.



The roads weren't too bad. (Well, if you can call this slushy mess, not too bad) OK, compared to up north, they weren't too bad. Down in the south, it was shear disaster. There.

The snow plows went up and back down the highway twice that second day. The third day, they came by too, but that trip didn't make much sense to me. They came by scraping bare pavement. What a noise that made! I'd imagine they need new snow plow blades by now.

Red berries (sorry I can't spell their name) Poison- stay away. But they are pretty with sleet and snow on them.


I thought that this looked like an ice flow.


This is the end of the fence that usually tries to claim a victim or two when the sledders slide down towards it. Thankfully, no casualties that day....sort of....


I take a lot of my pictures for my Etsy shop on these rocks. Hey, I even took advantage of the change in scenery and snapped a few that day too. (Mental note, upload new Etsy items...)


These are the trees in which our satellite dish calls home. (It's on the other side with a clear view of the sky so don't worry) Usually when something is on the branches, such as ice or snow, they lean in, and obstruct the dish. Kids panic, parents panic- you get the idea. This time, the branches didn't lean (very much).

Last but not least, I had to include a photo of the two young men in my family that snowboarded down the driveway (or should I say, attempted to snowboard down the driveway). (Notice the snowboard at the feet of Go Cart boy- on the left) I'm not sure if one was snowboarding and the other slipped in front the other, or if both of these nuts were trying to snowboard at the same time. Regardless, our elderly neighbors probably stood at their kitchen window smiling and laughing at their antics for hours!

We are supposed to get a less exciting version of another storm so we'll just have to see what happens next.

I bet the grocery stores are still out of bread, milk, and toilet paper at this very moment......

4 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful photos, Rosemary! Publish them! REALLY!
    It's hard to believe that weather is only 3 1/2 hours away. If that were here, the schools, government and roads would be closed; seriously. We don't know how to handle that weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Taylor for saying that. I hadn't thought of it and wouldn't know where to begin.

    We had snow on the ground last night just before dark. During the night, it turned to rain. Now, we are teetering on the brink of 32 degrees all day. I sure hope we don't have to deal with freezing rain- I'll have no source of heat! eeeek!! White stuff is pretty and it's fun for a day but the frozen rain- definitely not good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't brag about my 64 degrees and rainy. Really, though, it's nothing to brag about. It's still cold and dreary. I wish Spring would hurry and come, already!
    I hope it passes by you quickly so you don't have to worry about it.

    ReplyDelete