Thursday, December 17, 2009

Barbie and the Sugar Ants

Why is it, that when Christmas comes rolling around, that time starts to speed up? I know it's that way for everyone- everyone just doesn't talk about it much. THEY DON'T HAVE TIME!!

Can you tell I'm a bit overwhelmed lately?

I've missed blogging about so many crazy things that have came across my daily path- simply because I didn't have a camera at hand or my memory failed me. Believe me, if I started a series of "What I found on my kitchen floor today", you would laugh until you couldn't breathe. For example, this morning there was the torso of a decapitated Barbie doll with chocolate syrup splatters all around. Yes, I know what you are thinking, that one deserved a quick trip to find the camera. I was too worried about mopping the mess up before the sugar ants got a whiff of the syrup! Maybe one of those days I'll start that little series. I'm sure I would find something worthy of a good laugh at least once a week, on my kitchen floor....

Speaking of sugar ants (and yes, I know they have another name but I'm a polite person), Scott has been going crazy with trying to find out how the little boogers are finding their way into the food pantry. Why, he has virtually caulked every nook and cranny there is to find in that cabinet. We probably have the most air tight pantry around! They still managed to "appear" mysteriously and attack the lid to the honey jar (no matter how clean it is or tight it was screwed on). I think my poor refrigerator is packed with more pantry staples than the pantry itself. That's the only way we have kept the food safe from the pesky critters. Truthfully, I think they are just angry at me for talking so badly about their cousins the fire ants.

To make a long story short, it took a trip to the attic and a rather shocking discovery of an "ant nest" in the attic to solve our little mystery. So far, since that day, the honey jar is safe once again. I've heard of bees making nests randomly in attics, but ants makings nests is a new one on me. It doesn't surprise me though- weird things tend to happen in our family! Anyway, I'm still paranoid about keeping sweet things cleaned thoroughly to keep the critters away.


School is out now and I plan to enjoy my long awaited free time (is there such a thing for a mom?), so hopefully, I'll be sharing some crazy things with you soon so stay tuned! As for right now, I'm off to find out what happened to the rest of Barbie......

No comments:

Post a Comment