Monday, January 5, 2009

Cookies for Breakfast?


Who wouldn't like cookies for breakfast? (I just had a vision of Cookie Crisp cereal......)

I'm talking about real cookies. Homemade cookies. The kind that smell good in the oven. You know, the kind that makes you want to slap someone. Well, I have a tried and true recipe that you will love and it is healthy! Because these cookies are healthy, you can use these babies as a breakfast food! Did you catch that? Fast, breakfast food that is nutritious and delicious!

As with anything I cook, the recipe can change each time I cook it but for the sake of sharing this recipe, I bit my lip and wrote down the recipe for you. I apologize for the comments out to the side but, like I said, I change things all the time and I wanted you to know how you could personalize your cookies too.

Standard Breakfast Cookie recipe:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • 2 cups rolled oats (this is slow cook oatmeal- only dry)
  • 2 cups plain flour (I use King Arthur's Bread flour- they don't bleach their flour)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt- has more minerals in it)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon (If you have a thing for cinnamon, I guess you could add more if you like)
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda (not powder- soda- the stuff you put in your fridge to fight odor)
  • 1 cup of "goodies" ( this could be raisins, chocolate chips, nuts, etc- I use raisins most of the time)
  • 1/2 cup of melted butter (I use real butter- I suppose margarine would work, but I'm not sure- don't get mad at me if it doesn't)
  • 1 cup of honey (yes, I said one cup of honey- honey has a lower glycemic index than sugar and it gives baked goods such a wonderful flavor. Check your supermarket or neighborhood bee keeper- I buy my honey in a quart jar)
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (use the real stuff- not the artificial stuff- Don't you want the real stuff anyway?)
  • 2 eggs (You know me, I use cage free, vegan fed eggs. Once you have lived in the country, regular white eggs just don't cut it)
  • 1/2 cup of buttermilk (this is a must as you are using baking soda and the acid in the buttermilk is needed to make the cookie dough rise when combined with the soda)

Did you notice that there is no sugar in this recipe? No, I did not make a boo boo. The honey is your sweetener (yum).

Mix all ingredients together except the flour, oats, and "goodies". Once they are mixed well, mix in the flour, oats, and "goodies". You will want your batter to be thick so that you can spread it easily into a greased cookie sheet. If the batter is too dry, just add a little more buttermilk. The main thing is that you don't want the batter to be runny. Scoop out the batter onto the cookie sheet and spread around into one big roundish looking glob about 1/2 " thick. I suppose that you could shape them into cookie shapes but I don't fuss with the shape. Pop the one big massive cookie into the oven. This is the part that I let you guess at. I don't time the cookies. All ovens are different. As an estimate, I would guess about 15 minutes minimum. Keep peeking at the dough and wait until they are light to medium brown and feel done to the touch. Make sure the center of the huge cookie is done and not "mushy". Pull the yummy cookies out of the oven and cut into bars- I use a spatula to cut them with. At this point, call the herd in and tell them they get to eat cookies for breakfast. You will be a hero!

Voila, you just made a nutritious cookie that you can use for a quick breakfast or a healthy snack. They save so much time when you have some of these made and put into the freezer for those hectic days!

Cookies without the guilt! What could be better?


Want to make these sugar free for a diabetic?

Substitute the honey with: one teaspoon of powdered Stevia (or two dropper fulls of liquid Stevia) then add 3/4 cup of sugar free applesauce to the batter before cooking. (The applesauce will replace the bulk and need for the extra liquid ) Hey, everybody can use extra fiber!


I ran up on a recipe very similar to mine. It is short, sweet, and too the point. Visit here if you don't have time for my silly comments! I haven't tried her recipe exactly but her cookies sure did turn out prettier than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment