Saturday, October 3, 2009

To Crochet or To Knit........



I recently figured out that I can't sit still. I'm not hyperactive by no account. It's just that if I sit still, I quickly start thinking of all of the things that I could be doing that need to be done and I feel really guilty for wasting time. Know what I mean? Anyway, I figured that if I was going to sit still, maybe I should be doing something somewhat constructive. Hey, my mother in law was wanting to learn how to make dish cloths so I figured I'd give it a try and maybe we could practice together. The problem is, neither of us have a clue as to where to begin. Maybe crochet is the "constructive" thing that I could do while I sit still (if that happens very often).

I started my learning process at my local Walmart by picking up a book that is "supposed" to teach you how to crochet. I say supposed because I'm wanting to blame the book for my mistakes (and there are a gazillion of them). The book probably does a good job at explaining things. I'm the one that is not understanding those instructions at all.

Things started off pretty good. This is a chain stitch. So far, so good.

Still doing OK here.....

This is the finished product. I'm really good at making something look good when it's not, don't I? I folded it over to hide where I tried several different stitches, got stuck doing a chain stitch again for no reason, and totally bombed when it came to "finishing". And yes, this dishcloth would give even a geometry teacher a headache if you saw it lying flat. I guess that I shouldn't complain since it is a first try, it took two days to make, I answered the phone a total of 6 times during the making of it, I had to get up 19 times each time I got started, and I almost burned supper (twice!).

Will I try again, maybe. Right now, I've switched back to trying to learn how to knit. So far, I can cast on easily. Let's just see what happens next.....

1 comment:

  1. Hey, at least you can say that you tried something new! Did you have fun? That's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete