Saturday, May 9, 2009

Yummy Things to Eat In The Yard

This is a cobbler just waiting to happen
(Precious blackberries
)

The other day I took a quick trip back home to where my roots are. There are all kinds of yummy things to eat come late summer and fall back home. Here are just a few goodies that I'm looking forward to seeing (and of course, eating) later this summer.

Future Raspberries

These little jewels will not be turned in to anything- only eaten as fast as possible before the birds get them!



Can't you see it? This is a jar of apple pie filling in the making.

Let me say that it will be very sour, green apple pie filling but non the less, yummy!




I bet I stumped you on this one.

These are pears. This is the second year that these little jewels have made their appearance. Last year there were only 3 on this young tree. One fell to the ground in a storm, and the other two were sampled (one of which was by me...hee hee). There are more than a dozen this year. I'm going to keep an eye on these little guys for sure.

So there you have it. This is just a few of the goodies out in the yard- back home. I didn't snap any pictures of the strawberries, pecans, hazelnuts, mulberries, figs, or walnuts but you get the idea of what I'll be picking later this summer. I'm going to keep busy canning, freezing, and drying little pretties like these and make sure I have a good stockpile of nature's bounty come winter. Next step, get over my fear of my canner or break down and buy a new one....decisions, decisions.


1 comment:

  1. My mother-in-law freaked out when I ate a fallen rose petal from her mother's day rose.

    ReplyDelete