Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Deer Niblets and Ant Munchies

Here is what the garden looked like when we saw it last Saturday. Not too bad- you can tell where some rows are (that needed to be weeded, by the way). There are orange flags all over the place marking all of the different kinds of seeds we have planted. Do you see it? The warning sign that there is a "critter" rummaging through the garden when we aren't around? Look down near the bottom of the picture. There is practically a "highway" crossing through the lettuce patch. Also notice the two darker horizontal rows- those are the rows with the missing carrots. Not a one was to be seen. I replanted- we'll be putting up a fence around the lettuce/cabbage/carrot patch next time for sure.

This is what used to be pinto beans. Now, they are called Deer Niblets. Now you know what that "highway" was caused by in the previous picture. Now I know that deer like carrots and pinto beans- mental note is made.


See this poor potato plant? Here is some more documented proof of the fire ant issue that I talk about- way too much. They are actually sucking the juice out of the poor stems. One plant has already been devoured -leaves- stems, and all. I even dug around in the lone mound of dirt and not a root was to be found. That happened in less than a week people- these little critters are pure evil I tell ya'!


These are my current garden disasters. I didn't show any good points did I? I guess I just have to tell you about them. The green beans, peas, peanuts, pinto beans (what the deer didn't eat), blue corn, cucumbers, squash, lettuce, and cabbage are all doing quite well. We'll had a lot of rain and there is a huge wet spot in the middle of the garden that never dries up but over all, I think things are progressing well.

By the end of the day at the garden, we had the following planted: sunflowers, leeks, okra, bell peppers, chili peppers, tomatoes, cantelopes, watermelon, two types of winter squash, brussel sprouts, and parsley. In the next two weeks or so, we are going to plant our late corn. We will also be planting some more cucumbers and more carrots (to stagger the harvest). When the corn is about knee high, we will be planting squash and yellow wax beans under each stalk. This is what Native Americans refer to as; three sister planting. The beans climb up the corn and the corn shades the squash- win, win situation. The best part is that no staking is required- yeah!

I'll keep you updated from time to time and let you know how things are going out on the farm. After all, I have round three of my tomato plants growing in the cold frame in the backyard. If all goes well this time, there will be 32 tomato plants out in that garden in a week or two. Need any tomatoes?

No comments:

Post a Comment