Monday, August 24, 2009

A Day Trip To Hendersonville, NC

I've said before that sometimes I ride along with my hubby for a change in the scenery. After all, sometimes there just isn't anything very exciting outside my windows every day. On this particular day, we went to Asheville, NC. The funny thing is, I didn't take a single picture while in Asheville. We only drove on the outskirts of town so nothing was very exciting unless you count the fact that the guy that fixes the drinks at J&S Cafeteria disappeared and the waitress got a lemon creme pie in the face from a co-worker. (On second thought, the pie thing was exciting but there was no way I could have whipped out my camera in time).

We were taking our time driving around and tried to find some fun things to do to break up the boring ride. We stopped at a thrift store (that really didn't look like a thrift store) and walked around in complete shock. South Carolina thrift stores don't even compare to North Carolina thrift stores. This shop resembled a small Walmart or something. Everything was written in actual English and everything had prices on it. Wow- we are still amazed. I did pick up a really good copy of Anne of Green Gables for my daughter. I had to chuckle when my youngest son got really bored in the car and started reading it to Roly Polley Girl. He began like this, "Annie and the Green Gable". That's as far as he got and I heard the book slam in the back seat behind me. "Girly book", he must have thought. (Either that or he heard me chuckle when I heard the misread title.)


We left Asheville and headed back through Hendersonville. This is a sight we saw in the little village of Flat Rock. If you are familiar with Flat Rock, it is the home of Connemara- which is the home place of the late writer, Carl Sandburg. If it hadn't been so late in the afternoon, we would have stopped at Connemara but the sky was getting black for more reasons than one.


This is another view of the same little river that flowed by the side of the road.

Well, this is why we didn't go to Carl Sandburg's place. Something was looming over the hill. Believe me, it loomed alright- we had to go straight through it to get home.

Stay tuned....we did manage to visit downtown Hendersonville and saw a few strange sites of the fruity variety that I'll share soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment